It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rough engine idle, misfires
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:50 pm 

Hi all,

Hope someone might know what this problem is?

Have an 06 Swift that's done about 60,000 kms, mechanically fine until the last 1000 kms or so:

- When engine is warm and idling at the lights, there's often a shudder where the engine feels like it's stalling
- Shudders usually come in rapid waves of 2-3 and then disappear again until the next set of lights.
- No shudder when accelerating or cruising
- No shudder after a cold start as well
- When the engine does shudders, it's usually sitting just above 600rpm and then automatically surges to 8-900rpm like the ECU is trying to compensate
- Almost stalled itself once when slowing down to a set of lights with the clutch in

Replaced the spark plugs about 5000 km ago so does it sound like a problem with leads, air/fuel filter, sensors or... ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Rough engine idle, misfires
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 pm 

That's funny, I had exactly the same problem with mine, at about 80,000km. Actually no it wasn't EXACTLY the same - mine would ocassionally do what you're describing when it was warm as well as cold, but mostly when cold. But yeah, sometimes the whole car shakes right? Like if you've got something sitting on the dash it might even get slowly pushed off by the pulses in the shuddering? (Sort of feels like someone who's never driven a manual is driving except you're not moving)?

Unfortunately I can't tell you what it is - I took it to my mechanic and said, in all likelihood, it won't do it while you have the car - and it didn't, but he did a big service (under my request) with spark plugs and a bit of other stuff, and I cleaned the AFM myself. After that it still did it ocassionally but the weird thing was, it just went away. It has not done it since and we're up to 95,000km and it's been about 6-7 months...? (Note, it didn't seem to be the AFM because it kept doing it for a little while after I cleaned that.)

Hmm, maybe O2 sensor gets a bit of dirt on it and when it blows away after some exhaust air cleans it off, the car returns to normal?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:54 pm 

Check your ht leads (spark plug leads)

Have had the same problem before on various cars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:21 am 

Maybe time to replace Battery. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:02 am 

^ Where do you get that idea?

It sounds like the same thing that was happening to mine and I never replaced the battery and the problem has not shown up for yonks. Also the battery is the one that came with the car, so 4 and 1/2 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:25 pm 

What brand fuel are you using? If it's Shell, try something else (non ethanol) and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 pm 

Hi all,

Forgot the password on my old account so posting under this new one :)

Finally fixed the problem even though I'm not 100% sure what the cause was.

Checked the HT leads (resistance OK) and battery (original JP battery, voltage OK and still showing green) and they were both fine.

Ran down the tank to about 10L and poured in a whole bottle of Nulon Total Fuel System Cleaner (500mL), then filled tank with Optimax.

Restarted car and after driving around 40km's with a few WOT bursts, engine's now completely smooth and tacho is fixed at 600-700rpm during idle with no shudders.

Not sure if it was just blocked injectors, something dirty in the lines or just water in the fuel but the additives actually worked =D>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:25 pm 

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2005 swift at the moment, and have just reached 66,000k's. I'm getting a mechanic to look at it today but so far no fault codes are showing up on the computer.

Hoping it's spark plugs or something like that. Have been thinking it could be to do with the fuel, because it was worse when it first started but after letting it get close to empty and filling up again twice it's not as bad. Might give the system cleaner a go if the mechanic doesn't have any luck. And yes, I get my cheap petrol from woolies on occasion... :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 pm 

its a fuel delivery problem. i replaced my sparkplugs and had it happen, yet it mostly went away when i replaced the fuel filter and dropped in a bottle of carby cleaner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:22 am 

Thanks, I think I will try that.

Mechanic says it needs new spark plugs and ignition lead set. New spark plugs are on now ($90 later...). It is better than it was but still not 100%

They need to order in the right ignition lead which is going to cost me another $180 or so.

Guess it's just general wear and tear. Someone suggested taking it to a dyno tune place but that seems a bit extreme... is there anything they could even tune on a newer model swift?!

It had a service in July and they did an oil change and replaced the air filter but obviously didn't check the spark plugs.

Will see how it goes once they replace the ignition lead and hopefully will be right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:11 pm 

Kristen wrote:
Thanks, I think I will try that.

Mechanic says it needs new spark plugs and ignition lead set. New spark plugs are on now ($90 later...). It is better than it was but still not 100%

They need to order in the right ignition lead which is going to cost me another $180 or so.

Guess it's just general wear and tear. Someone suggested taking it to a dyno tune place but that seems a bit extreme... is there anything they could even tune on a newer model swift?!

It had a service in July and they did an oil change and replaced the air filter but obviously didn't check the spark plugs.

Will see how it goes once they replace the ignition lead and hopefully will be right.

What fuel do you use? Interested to know if it's a fuel filter issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 am 

I go for the cheapest fuel I can get... :oops:

In the end changing the ignition coil and some of the leads (connecting to it??) fixed the problem. Also got the rear wheel bearings done and four new tyres recently... ouch! $229 each for Bridgestone Potenza RE002's...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 am 

Kristen wrote:
I go for the cheapest fuel I can get... :oops:

In the end changing the ignition coil and some of the leads (connecting to it??) fixed the problem. Also got the rear wheel bearings done and four new tyres recently... ouch! $229 each for Bridgestone Potenza RE002's...

So changing the coil and leads worked for you Kristen ?
I am having the exact same problem with my Mrs car, its an 06 auto and I have changed the leads and plugs and tried the injector cleaner and it is still doing it! :twisted:
It seems to do it sitting at the lights (Idling) with the AC on in gear and it shudders exactly like everyone has explained, I called Suzuki the other day and of course they haven't come across the problem before, but it is starting to look like a bit of a problem with them.I told them what I have done and they suggested maybe the coil as well, so before I book it into them I will change that to see if it makes a difference. [-o<
Oh it only has ever had premium fuel put through it.. :x
Cheers
Dave :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:33 am 

Yeah, first they replaced the spark plugs which didn’t fix it, then they tried the ignition coil which made a difference but it was not 100% fixed.

They then replaced some leads, I think they said there were 2 or 4 leads, and they then thought it was fixed but I could still notice a very slight shudder… they had connected 2 of the leads around the wrong way apparently… ! All fixed now though. Let us know how you go with yours!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 pm 

Sounds interesting as I read thru all this, I myself have started to notice a few things on my 07 suzuki swift auto,

I don't know if it's the fuel e10 or what.. But as of late I've felt the car shudder somtimes when at lights RPM seems to fall below 600rpm almost felt like it was about to stall! but it recovered.. I recently put a fuel injector cleaner in the tank and all this only just started to happen after doing so! I don't know if maybe the cleaner has dislodged some huge amount of gunk or what but my next tank will be a 95 RON without E10 and I'll see what happens..

I've been servicing the car myself since after 60,000km ~~ mark and I'm now at 105,000km I might have to look at the sparkplugs and replace them..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:46 am 

Hi guys I'm back and with good news! :)
I got the coils replaced and fixed the problems altogether.
Basically I called Suzuki and told them the problem I was having and of course they have not heard about it. :roll: So they said to bring it in, but in the mean time I talked to my mechanic about it and he said that the first thing Suzuki will do is change the coils because I have done just about everything else, so I decided to go ahead and change the coils and what do you know it fixed the problem straight away.
So I changed the leads and plugs and used injector cleaner but it didnt fix the problem but changing the coils did, or a combination of all of those things did, I dont know.. :?
So if anyone is having the same problem try the coils first! Genuine the coils are about $600 a pair but non genuine they are around $300, well worth it but, thanks guys..
Cheers
Dave 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:15 am 

Dave_GTi wrote:
Hi guys I'm back and with good news! :)
I got the coils replaced and fixed the problems altogether.
Basically I called Suzuki and told them the problem I was having and of course they have not heard about it. :roll: So they said to bring it in, but in the mean time I talked to my mechanic about it and he said that the first thing Suzuki will do is change the coils because I have done just about everything else, so I decided to go ahead and change the coils and what do you know it fixed the problem straight away.
So I changed the leads and plugs and used injector cleaner but it didnt fix the problem but changing the coils did, or a combination of all of those things did, I dont know.. :?
So if anyone is having the same problem try the coils first! Genuine the coils are about $600 a pair but non genuine they are around $300, well worth it but, thanks guys..
Cheers
Dave 8)

Did you end up going genuine? or aftermarket?

If aftermarket, what manufacturer / part number did you use?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 pm 

I can see the read count on this thread is racking up so obviously many Swift owners are now having the same problem with their cars reaching the 60-70K mark.

Anyway, the petrol cleaner only helped a bit and the problem soon came back.

Like Dave, finally fixed the problem by replacing the coils - no change to spark plugs (standard NGK) or leads (factory Sumitomo, resistance still OK).

Only took about an hour to replace, just remove the air filter housing and plastic engine cover.

The OEM coils were Denso "Made In Japan" so I'm very surprised they only lasted 60K before packing it in.

Either Denso are keeping the good OEM parts for Toyota or Suzuki are squeezing everything down to a cost.

Bought the genuine replacement coils from this guy - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... true&rt=nc

Good bloke and very easy to deal with, saved a packet compared to the dealers as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:52 pm 

I'm bumping this topic as it seems I have the exact same problem with my 2004 Suzuki Ignis Sport. It has been getting progressively worse over the last 2 years. Initially it was an occasional hesitation at lights, but in the last week it's a full blown 3 hit hiccup and the car shakes, I've also noticed a loss of power occasionally at lower revs around 1.5. The spark plugs are only 12 months old, there is no loss of power is normal driving or under the stick so I'm ruling out the EGR valve blocking. The car still has the original leads and ignition coils so I suspect they are the most likely culprit otherwise the maybe the O2 sensor going?

Any idea where to check cheap leads and ignition coils? Happy with aftermarket parts as I just want to get the car to 300,000kms and its currently at 225,000kms. Cheers 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:53 am 

Bad O2 sensor?

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley,Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi.
2001-Altezza AS200.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A