It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: ATTN: Mk1 owners - Wheel size and Recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 am 

hey everyone,

looking to buy some old school 13 - 14 inch wheels from otomoto.com to go on my Mk1 build with some daily streetable tyres.

Was thinking of either 13 or 14 by 5.5 to as much as 6.5 wide but what i am unsure about is the offset.

Does anyone have any experience what the max offset is for these wheel width sizes (5.5, 6 and 6.5 wide) and also any recommendations for road tyres to match?

Cheers

Alexei

Post subject: Re: ATTN: Mk1 owners - Wheel size and Recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:26 am 

like would 13x5.5 +14 rims stick out too far?

being a mk1 im pretty sure im limited to a 5.5inch wide rim (under NSW law)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 am 

There are many mk1's with 15" wheels on them, I am not sure of the NSW legalities

I'd be looking at these they would give a MK1 a definate old school look.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 am 

Hey papa

yeah i know 15s are pretty common, the car came with 15inch ROH wheels when i bought it and my mate also has some 15s on his mk1. they do look alright but i love the smaller wheels

ive been looking at some 13 inch toyo z (see below 13 x 5.5 + 14s) and am really keen on. If i can find out the deal with the offsets i will def be buying these.
Attachment:
Toyo Z.jpg
Toyo Z.jpg [ 52.97 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]

or some 14 inch rock racer mesh rims (14 x 6.5 +8)
Attachment:
Rockracing.jpg
Rockracing.jpg [ 46.13 KiB | Viewed 2692 times ]

what do you reckon?....

ps where did you find those rims above from?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 pm 

They are Rota wheels, My mate had 14's on his Mk1 first but it was super low exhaust scraping low he also had twin motor biek mufflers fitted to in the centre . It was very out there in the early 90's :)

personally I like the 15's good for tyres and if you get the stance right they make the Mk1's look very tuff.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm 

4pcs G-MAX OLD SCHOOL 3-Piece Design
p.c.d 108/114.3(8h) 7.0jj et=20
15inch.. $300

i can help you with some old school rim if you want..

Attachments:
xxx.jpg
xxx.jpg [ 40.63 KiB | Viewed 2631 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 pm 

or this 13inch enkei compe8.. not sure if this rim is still available

Attachments:
sss.jpg
sss.jpg [ 83.87 KiB | Viewed 2631 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 pm 

One point worth noting is that if you drop the offset of the wheels you also change the scrub radius. The closer you get to zero the more difficult it is to turn the car - especially bad at low speed/parking.

If you're increasing the width of the rim to 6" then the offset can say somewhere in the 30-40 range and still fill the arches nicely. Dropping the offset lower than 30 you just need to put some thought into tyre choice to avoid arch scrubbing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
One point worth noting is that if you drop the offset of the wheels you also change the scrub radius. The closer you get to zero the more difficult it is to turn the car - especially bad at low speed/parking.

If you're increasing the width of the rim to 6" then the offset can say somewhere in the 30-40 range and still fill the arches nicely. Dropping the offset lower than 30 you just need to put some thought into tyre choice to avoid arch scrubbing.

Hey YLD80Y can you elaborate a little for me as now I'm a little confused. Postive offset pushes the face of the face rim away from the car just as a negative offset pushes it towards the car (ie deep dish rims)
So I understand what your saying about by dropping the offset close to zero reduces your scrub radius as it effectively is 'offset' away from the body.

But MK1s came stock with 165/65/13 tyre and from people on this forum I have sourced that 15x6.5 rims and fitting a 195/45/15 profile tyre is the max to fit in order to avoid scrubbing. Due to NSW law fitting any rim bigger than. 5.5 inch rim on a MK1 technically need engineering. Although I'm sure not strictly enforced I would still like to avoid any engineering-law enforcement-future insurance claim based on as something as menial as wheel sizes where possible.

Therefore, surely by fitting a 5 inch rim with. 185/65/13 profile tyre, even with a low offset tyre would avoid scrubbing and keep the orginal rolling circumference of the wheel right?

Again I don't want a 6.5 inch rim with a large positive offset or the tyre will sit out past the guard and ill be defected in a flash.

Or am I fundamentally missing something??? which I can tell you wouldn't be the first time. Too early for this its making my brain hurt.

Again any advice-dimensions-pics of your set up would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:13 pm 

increasing offset pushes the mounting face of the rim (the face that is up against the hub) further out from the middle of the hoop.

an easier way to visualize it is thinking about dish. a rim that is 200mm wide will have exactly equal dish in either side of the mounting face if the offset is 0mm. +100 will have the mounting face (Theoretically, dependant on where the measurement is taken from) flush with the lip of the rim. inversley the same rim with and offset of -100mm will have the mounting face flush with the inside lip of the rim.

those big dish rims, or those specified for rwd are usually running 0 or less offset anythig more than that generally leans towards being an fwd offset.

in a previous discussion is was noted by another member that the real amount of offset needeed is determined by both the rim diameter and width coupled with the actual rolling diameter or height of the tyre.

there are plenty of calculatios out there that take care of the hard measurements. find a rim/tyre combo that is proven and has the right look for you, punch it into a calculator and then compare. 15" rim by 6.5 with 195/50 tyres looks okay, offset is +35.

low or negative offset will require rolling of the guards and possibly flares.

195 is the width and 50 is the height of the side wall as a percentage of 195, or 97.5mm

19 years old and lucky to still be serviceable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:47 pm 

Check out this 'Visual Tyre Size Calculator' site. You enter your own measurements and it works out stuff:

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:05 pm 

Alexei wrote:
Or am I fundamentally missing something??? which I can tell you wouldn't be the first time. Too early for this its making my brain hurt.

Forget about the "face" of the rim. The easiest way to think about offset is that the lower the number, the further the outer rim protrudes out from the car. So if the stock offset is +38 then anything below that will have the wheel heading outwards towards the edge of the car and beyond.

Scrub radius has to do with suspension geometry. Basically if you vastly change the offset or diameter of the wheels you are altering the pivot axis of the wheel, which can do sorts of nasty things to the steering, bearings and suspension. (This fact is clearly lost on all the "hellaflush/stance" wankers.)

As for width, I recently discovered that the new NCOP regs allow a 30% increase in tyre width, with the rim merely needing to suit the selected tyre - so there is no 25mm+ width limit anymore.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=49158&hilit=NCOP

I have to admit that the advice I am giving you is not MK1 specific, but based on a lot of years modifying various Suzukis. That said I'm happy to offer advice if you find it helpful. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:27 pm 

YLD8OY & VOLKERbALL-GTi - now im picking up what your putting down. i should be looking to keep the offset anywhere between +30 to +40 offset and possibly as low as +25 with some camber and a bit of guard bashing. Im def keen on keeping the rolling diameter and as much of the suspension geo as is where possible....the car was built by people with far superior knowledge on the workings of auto design than i and think leaving the design bit up to them is a far better idea than messing dramatically with it and building a car that looks nice but handles like shite.

Mk1Croc - that sites perfect. ill use that to scope out what rim/tyre combo i can use to keep the stock rolling circumference, then look into tyre options and work backwards towards rim selection. no point getting excited about a rim that i like if there arent many good/cheap/abundant tyres to fit on em

Papa - i had a look at the Rota rims site...i like it a lot. Cheers for that

Strider - you've got a PM about those enkei compe8. I like em a lot and even might be a good track wheel if not for street use.

Cheers fellas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:34 pm 

compe8 are a great wheel in my opinion. Very light weight (bit over 4kgs in 13x5.5 from what I have found). Are around in 6inch width as well (range of offsets from around +15 to +38 can be found). Got a good oldschool look to them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:38 pm 

Glad YLD80Y pointed out the rim width increase rule doesn't apply any more... gives you plenty more options, but I hate to point out you really don't have much room to play with in a Mk1 wheel arch.

As a Mk1 owner, I looked through all sorts of rims and options and I've now got 2 sets. One set of 13s, and one set of 15s. 14s? The tyre sizes you'll want are just too unusual so you pay through for the nose for crappy tyres. That even applies to 15s too coz you really want 195/45 and not the much more common 195/50. I ended up getting some 175/50/15s - they're ok, but nothing special, and they weren't cheap. Calculate some of the sizes that you might want and then go to a tyre shop - you'll find plenty of them just aren't available.

My advice? Stick with 13s. 185/60-13s can get you some quality tyres (including R-compounds). An old school 13 x 6 with the right offset and some genuinely sticky rubber will look the biz and will give you more grip than you know what to do with. Plus they won't cost the earth and you'll still have respectable ride quality... win!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:29 am 

strider wrote:

Hey strider

did you ever find out about the availability of these bad boys?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:29 am 

strider wrote:

Hey strider

did you ever find out about the availability of these bad boys?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:14 pm 

Havent seen them new but often seen them second hand on import monster.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:00 pm 

FlyingGrape wrote:
Havent seen them new but often seen them second hand on import monster.

Cheers Grape

Im going to keep an eye out for em!

Alexei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 pm 

Otomoto in Parramatta import second hand Japanese wheels and have reasonable prices.