It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Stripped G13B head bolt - best way to remove it?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:49 pm 

Attempting to repair a blown head gasket. All going well until it came time to remove the hex bolts from the head. Friggin hard and tight. Came to the last one and it wouldn't budge. Eventually, it stripped so I have a problem now.

I believe the only way to get the thing out is to carefully drill off the head of the bolt, remove the head with the stem of the bolt still in the block then then use a set of mega multi-grips to extract it.

Am I thinking right or is there another way to approach this from those who have had similar issues.

Cheers,
Rick

Post subject: Re: Stripped G13B head bolt - best way to remove it?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:56 pm 

Thats exactly the way to do it but you will not need big grips as it will probably undo by hand. Change to better bolts whilst you are at it. It will not hurt the head to drill bolt as it has the washer under head and as it gets near it will pop clear. Will need to check carefully for swarf but you can limit it by inserting a tube around the drill and bolt head to capture it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 pm 

Another option to try if the bolt hex isn't too badly damaged and you have a good quality hex socket.(not the multi spline type)
Replace some of the bolts around the damaged one and re tighten them to relieve some clamping pressure on the damaged one.
Use a round flat nose punch or drift and give the bolt head some good cracks with 4Lb hammer.
Remember you don't want to the take the bolt out the sump, you only want to shock it and stretch it to loosen it with hex socket and T bar for equal rotational torque to loosen the bolt.
It pays to always crack all head bolts in reverse torque pattern 1/4 turn then fully loosen them. If not you run the risk of the outer last ones being extra tight.
Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:19 am 

Some great (quick!) advice there, especially from Cappo. Not panicking as much now which is a bonus. I'll see how I go later today with the extraction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 pm 

Okay, tried to drill it out but my drill bits are struggling severely with the job, overheating and smoking up. Obviously they use very hardened steel in the head bolts that normal drill bits won't bite into.

What type of drill bit should I be using? I'll google the issue too as starting to get just a little frustrated! :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:34 pm 

If you choose to continue drilling, step 1
Hide all hammers, anything big that can cause damage and put the dog inside for its own safety.

Now that bolt head has been rubbed,heated & burnt its probably glass hard.
Start with new drill bits or re sharpened ones. Not the $2.00 special type bits.
Center punch bolt head bang on center, then 3mm bit first at slower than normal speed and high cut pressure with a cutting paste.
Don't let drill bit rub, it must cut and keep at it until you reach depth you want.
Can try go up in drill bit sizes or if confident straight to 12mm. Slow speed high cutting pressure and cutting paste.
Hey presto job done and you can let the dog out. =D>
Failing that you may need to get a special drill from you hardware store that they say can drill anything like bearing steel or files etc.
Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:12 am 

Is the bolt head of the Allen style or outer Hex style. My drilling instructions were for original allen head bolts and 10mm drill is sufficient.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:31 am 

Bought some M35 Cobalt XTorque drill bits - Sydney Tools reckon that's what I need for this motherf**%% bolt! It's days are numbered!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:30 pm 

Those drill bits did the trick. Very easy to drill out the bolt so happy days . Head gasket was totally rooted, one of the worst I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 pm 

Well done =D>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:52 pm 

Bit of an update re the car:

All repaired including a refurbishment of the cylinder head involving a valve grind, 16 cleaned valve lash adjusters (no more ticking), new valve stem seals and cam seals, and a port and polish (thank you good ole' oven cleaner!).

This was quite a big job but I managed okay with no stuff ups except for that head bolt.

Another Mk1 lives again to drive another day - and she goes really well now with no weird noises coming from under the bonnet.