It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: supercharging the swift gti
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:06 pm 

has anyone thought or have supercharged their 1.3L swift gti or any swift for that matter. everyone that i heard or know have turbo charged their car. to me, that means an investment in the turbo, gauges, intercooler, mounts, extractors, exahust etc which is a lot of money, for a single supercharger, it gains some more kilowatt and is inexpensive, maybe all up cost you $400-$500 which is quite cheap. if you have supercharged your swift, what did you do, what kind of supercharger did you use, how much does it cost and is it worth it overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:06 pm 

$400 to supercharge? I'd like to see it ;)

There has been talk back and forth about it.

I know Garndi (who is in the UK) has been in a Supercharged GTi over there and knows a fair bit about it, he will no doubt comment. So in answer to your question, yes it has been thought of and yes it has been done, I am guessing the total cost came in over $400-$500 though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:49 pm 

$400 -$500 is a bit ambitious , there has been a few I have seen one in Sydney may years ago and there is one in Qld under development at the moment.

YOU want to PLAY, YOU got to PAY .. Performance doesn't come cheap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:29 pm 

all in all to be able to run about 7psi on the GTi would cost cheaper using a supercharger than a turbo right? my mate whos a machanic said because theres less lag it doesn't put such a strain on the car, which kinda makes sense when u consider turbo is like a bang of power where a supercharger has it from the word go.

there was a euro swift that did this for cheap and runs huge amounts of power on stock internals. i can't find the thread but it might of some use to ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:04 pm 

from what I have read it was a fair bit more expensive than turbocharging which usually comes in around the $5000+ mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:12 pm 

um, yea, i meant its $350 for the supercharger, not including the mountings and the rest of the stuff that might be included in a kit...
but yea, its the sc13/sc14 supercharger that comes from the jap spec 4a-gze so its a bit small but can get an aftermarket pulley kit to crank up boost and it can keep up with some turbos except without the lag...
but its better to supercharge such a small car anyways cos you dont have much NA power to reduce the lag to begin with...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:23 pm 

honest_will wrote:
but its better to supercharge such a small car anyways cos you dont have much NA power to reduce the lag to begin with...

Don't be so sure that this logic applies to the GTi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:04 am 

[YLD80Y] wrote:
honest_will wrote:

Don't be so sure that this logic applies to the GTi.

True, pretty much every GTi on this forum will have a different spoolup time, cause there are too many variables to make a mass generalisation as that dude. Compression, Manifold Design, Turbocharger used, Headwork, Cams, Throttle Body, Piping, Intercooler size, Piping Length / Diameter, they all play a major role in determining the spoolup times of the car.

You will find some guys that start to spool by 2700, and on boost by 3200, others have turbo's kicking in a 4000,5000 rpm... Its a matter about choice, and piping length...

( o ( o _ 0 ) o )

Post subject: Technical input...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:23 pm 

Heres a technical site on the design\uses of superchargers....
stoke the flames of debate...
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/s ... rman3.html
While not dealing directly with swifts\small fours....at least you`d know what you were getting into.... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:50 pm 

honest_will wrote:

Power has nothing to do with turbo lag. Its more about exhaust gas velocity than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:01 pm 

whart happens when the car backfires....seen what it does to a supercharger.
ever thought about electric forced induction?

turbo is the best economical way to forced induction, both fuel economy and insurace on your motor (ie. belts break more often on super chargers) and turbo you can monitor with your right foot more easily

my 2 cents

Post subject: Supercharged GTi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:58 am 

My boyf is currently supercharging his GTi motor in his Suzuki Sierra 4WD. They reckon it'll run about 12 psi and almost double the power. It's costing him around $500-$600 but he's doing most of the work himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:56 am 

hey lana got any pix of his set up? im goin to do the same to mine as soon as the motor is fitted. is his motor standard or has it had work done to it?
graeme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:18 am 

No pix yet. The supercharger is still being rebuilt and the car is going in to have it fitted hopefully this weekend. Is yours a Sierra? They are becoming a common conversion. It's great. People always ask what's in mine. His motor is standard at the moment but he's planning on putting in a copper head gasket, larger oil pump and possibly a 1.6L Vitara bottom end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:55 pm 

imho i think a sc gti will be more than enough power for a zook, how much for a copper head gasket? and were from? ive got 2 zooks , 1 with a spoa and 32 simexes, and a standard lwb which the gti is goin in to plus a coil conversion, we hang out here alot , alot of god tech aswell.

outerlimits4x4.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:08 pm 

I get copper head gaskets from a place in Melbourne (can't think of the name). I trace around the head and fax it to him and he sends the gasket in the post. You get over anything with a GTi motor in a 4WD. They're unstoppable. I went through 2 standard Sierra motors and a Corolla motor before the GTi went in. My boyfriends just done his 5th GTi conversion, 2 for me (wrote one off) and 3 for him (Updated body & rolled one). I'll let you know how the supercharger goes. Hopefully it'll be back on the road in 1-2 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:37 pm 

Supercharging is not that cheap, but I must say that the results are great :lol: .

A nicely tuned SC swift is like a crazy NA motor, feels completly different to the Turbo siwfts.

10psi generated 152Whp and 136lbs Torque all on a stock engine.

Will try to host some video's on Doug's (UKSWIFT) in action.

I am going to be pit crewing for a few swifts/testing them around the ring in Germany (Nerberg), if the new engine parts arrive in time the SC g13b will be remapped & pully changed so that 18psi can be run :D .

Should be lots of fun..... :twisted:

I have been looking into doing a cheap SC conversion for the G13b & will try to bring back a Mini SC to Aus so that a custom install can be done. looks like a pain, but once its finished & the new intake has been made they will be copied...(I am thinking of running draw through on a custom intake, no intercooler, see what happens)

You can buy the BMW Mini eaton style SC for around £70 - £100 pounds ($230AUD'ish) & they are good for about 170HP - 200HP.

The problem is getting them to work, there is a post on the teamswift forum regarding the installation on the cheap Mini SC.

If any one wants one of these SC's, thinks that they have the time & skills to complete a cheap SC setup, then let me know, I can get one for you.

The SC that Doug uses is an centrifugal kind manufactured by a European company called Rotrex, The charger alone retails over the £1500 mark ($3500AUD'ish). It isn’t a cheap option.

There is a guy in the UK 'Jonny' who is now doing Rotrex SC installations on the GTi's. So i have access to the bracket's so that its an easy installation on the the g13b block, if anyone is interested?.

Thanks
Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:01 am 

no, it ain't cheap! 400 pounds? with the adition of 1500, than you are about right.

Mine runs btw, nice and loud whine :roll:
Stille need to be run in though, so a max pressure is set to 2 psi for 1500 km. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:39 pm 

The supercharger itself would be the cheapest part of the conversion.
What about the brackets/ pulleys/belts/ piping
To do a proper job would need at least 10mm steel plating for the bracket which has to be laser cut etc
Check out the article on Autospeed to do it properly after that turbo charging looks like the easier option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:53 pm 

Well that aint true......

The brackets and piping aren't that expensive. The most expensive are the electronics!

- fuel pump
- iginition
- boost limiter system
- other injectors
- manegment system

Those things together WELL exceed the costs of the sc/brackets/piping.

Ohw and wy does it has to be lasercut????? You can do it mighty fine on a mill and lathe!